Foul breath or Halitosis is a very common problem for many of us. It is not only embarrassing but also adversely affects our confidence level. Bad breath can be due to number of reasons such as postnasal drip, uncontrolled diabetes, respiratory infections, liver or kidney disorders and acid reflux.
However, the most common reasons for bad breath include poor dental hygiene, periodontal disease, dry mouth and plaque, food particles and bacteria inside the mouth. The following easy home remedies will help you to overcome the problem of foul breath:
1. Drinking green or black tea is greatly useful because the polyphenols present in the tea stops bacterial growth and prevent the production of malodorous compounds such as hydrogen sulfide by the existing bacteria. Hydrogen sulfide is responsible for the bad smell of the breath.
2. Use mouthwash that contains zinc ions. The zinc ions help in reducing the production of sulfur compounds and improve the breath quality. You can easily find such mouthwashes in drug stores and health food stores.
3. Use mouthwash that contains essential oils such as tea tree oil, peppermint oil or lemon oil. These oils help in decreasing the production level of volatile sulfur compounds and thus help in maintaining the freshness of your breath.
4. Try to use alcohol-free mouthwash. Alcohol tends to make your mouth dry thus resulting in bad smell of the breath.
5. Chew fresh herbs like rosemary, parsley, spearmint or tarragon. These herbs decrease the breath odor.
6. Always use a tongue cleaner to remove the leftover food particles, dead cells and bacteria from the tongue. After the use of tongue cleaner, do not forget to rinse your mouth with water.
7. Drink maximum amount of water and other fluids. They help in keeping the mouth moist. Foul breath is also correlated to stomach problems. Drinking fruit and vegetable juices and soups will help in maintaining the balance of the body.
8. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables like apples, celery and carrots. These fruits and vegetables are known to remove food particles, plaque and bacteria from the teeth and thus they provide us a fresh breath.
9. Brush your teeth twice a day and floss them regularly to avoid bad breath.
Here are some simple yet useful tips that will help you to get rid of the bad breath problem completely, while giving you the feel of the best breath ever.